Legal Counsel, Underwriting
For over 70 years, Chicago Title has proudly provided security for Canada’s real estate transactions. When it comes to peace of mind, no detail is too small to overlook. From offering better value than anywhere else, and unmatched customer care, we will safeguard the real estate industry, one property at a time. Owned by Fidelity National Financial, North America’s largest title insurer, we are an industry leader in title insurance solutions, customer service, and real estate technology. Our focused, Canadian-based organization lets us respond quickly to our clients’ needs. We’re not just in the title insurance business, we’re in the client success business.
We put the customer first, listening carefully to hear your unique needs and provide creative solutions. We strive for results, providing world-class products and services while continually innovating to improve what we offer. We never rest, nurturing our workforce to be the top tier in the industry, letting our clients experience peace of mind.
Reporting to the Director – National Underwriting, the ideal candidate will be a client-focused, highly professional with extensive experience in customer service within the real estate industry.
- Assist Underwriters in the analysis of difficult or complicated files – review and analyze title opinions, off title searches and/or supporting documentation while applying the Company’s underwriting principles and guidelines
- Review files for accuracy and quality control
- Review Private Lender files
- Communicate with lawyers and law clerks to explain coverages/answering the more challenging inquiries
- Legal Research Projects – whenever there is a need for legal research, perform research (often national in scope) and draft memo/chart outlining findings; oversee student in this work (when available)
- Participate in the development of guidelines and procedures
- Develop and update Continuing Professional Development presentations
- Attend real estate and title insurance industry functions
- Law Degree and a member of the Law Society of Ontario
- Residential real estate experience (Min. 2 years)
- Commercial real estate experience an asset
- Understanding of real estate conveyancing and real estate law
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Team player who works well under pressure with minimal supervision
- Resourceful, problem solver with a bias for action
- Good analytical ability
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Willing to work overtime when required
- French is an asset
As an employee of Chicago Title, you will have the satisfaction of working in a progressive and diverse organization.
Together, we are a cohesive unit working towards one common purpose. We encourage a positive team-based atmosphere where every employee knows their efforts are making a difference. With a transparent business approach, every employee is aware of the direction of the company and accepts accountability for their actions. Legal Counsel, Underwriting Providing our employees with a nurturing environment and opportunities to grow and excel is one of our top priorities. We pride ourselves on fostering a fair and respectful environment that encourages employees to pursue their career goals. Our employees are passionate about providing the products, solutions and expertise our clients need for their success – and ours. Promotion and hiring from within are important trademarks of the Chicago Title way!
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Comprehensive Group Benefits Plan (Health and Dental)
- RRSP Program
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Vacation and Personal Care days
- Recognition for years of service
- Annual Corporate Awards recognition